Sunday, November 2, 2008

Veggies of the Week


We got these Chinese White Radish seeds on sale at the end of the summer season. On a whim, we thought we could try them for a fall crop. We lost the seed packet, so I can't tell you what variety they are. Spread them over the ground and they grew -as radishes usually do without another thought of them.
Tasted them raw, and WOW, pungent and bitter. I could see their place shredded and sparsely sprinkled in a salad. Probably marinated in vinegar would be good, but I am a roasted veggie fan. I found this recipe, didn't have the sesame seeds and made it anyway. Tonight, I discovered that roasted radishes are AWESOME!

Radishes are really easy to grow, But I am never very impressed with them as far as eating them raw. But I am reconsidering their place in the garden. They may be a cheap and easy veggie to grow. I am happy with our fall crop.

Info seeker that I am, I thought I'd post some info about these little veggies.

Radish is a root vegetable with a rich flavor. It is used in most of the world cuisines but is very popular in Japanese and Chinese cuisine. Radish is a root vegetable with a rich flavor. It is used in most of the world cuisines but is very popular in Japanese and Chinese cuisine
  • Nutrition Facts and Information about Radish: Radish has excellent levels of copper, manganese and potassium. It is also a good source of calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorous, zinc and sodium.

  • Vitamin Content: Radishes are a very good source of vitamin c and vitamin k. They also contain riboflavin and vitamin b6.

  • Calorie Content of Radish: 100g of radish contains 16 calories only. Radish is low in saturated fat and very low in cholesterol. They are also very good source of dietary fiber.

  • Health Benefits of Radish: Radish has anti-bacterial as well as anti-fungal properties. It is beneficial for cough, respiratory problems, digestive disorders, asthma, bronchitis and liver and gallbladder troubles.

Who knew? I love the internet.

2 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

Glad to hear you liked the roasted radishes. I was surprised when I made then to discover a completely new take on radishes.

tigerlillyshop said...

i was so glad to find your recipe. i'll definatley be checking back;) thank you for sharing!